EU funded civil society support project funds organisations working in media development and access to justice through grant funding and capacity development support. Media development and access to justice were identified where the impact of activities led by Non State Actors (NSA) was high and the need for such interventions was significant. The purpose of the programme is to support selected organisations in delivering better services and advocacy which in turn contribute to increased citizen participation and involvement in activities lead by government. Grants ranging between €200,000 and €500,000 were awarded by the European Union (EU) to eight NSAs following a national call for proposals in October 2014.
Access to Justice Grantees
These grantees work on projects aimed at increasing legal literacy amongst citizens – in particular vulnerable groups; providing free or affordable legal aid services; providing capacity development support to access to justice NSAs, focusing on policy engagement and lastly providing innovative approaches, which encourage attitude and behaviour changes within communities and policy actors.
For more information on the six selected access to Justice NSA’s, click on the links below:
Media Development Grantees
These grantees work on projects aimed at encouraging attitude and behaviour on protection of human rights, gender equality, democratic participation and economic empowerment. In addition, the projects will promote innovative models of debate and collaboration between media, civil society and citizens; improve quality of journalism; promote freedom of information; have a strong focus on policy engagement and increase capacity of independent media outlets or community radio stations
For more information on Media Development Grantees, click on the links below:
Zambian Governance Foundation supports EDF grantees by:
- Providing training seminars in a variety of areas including gender mainstreaming, board roles, and responsibilities, M&E for policy influencing initiatives, disability mainstreaming and evidence-based policy analysis
- Conducting ongoing monitoring of projects
- Convening and facilitating learning and information sharing events
- Deploying finance management (FM) capacity development accompaniers with grantees to strengthen their financial management capabilities
- Placing capacity development accompaniers with grantees in other areas of need.